Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 28, 2022, 04:01:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Last 10 Shouts:
January 25, 2020, 05:42:03 PM
We are on Facebook
July 29, 2019, 02:49:54 AM
Is the club dead?  My bikes been down a long time and now with the fever again I find this place a ghost town
March 26, 2019, 06:44:08 PM
Yeah I'm here dude
June 25, 2017, 05:41:28 AM
Anyone in here?
April 09, 2017, 05:18:56 PM
Anyone know a good attorney for speeding tickets who can work in Illinois?  
April 01, 2017, 11:18:48 AM
he has told me he is going to COTA
April 01, 2017, 11:18:21 AM
I have Info on Toasty
March 13, 2017, 03:23:36 AM
All this snow can eat shit, I wanna ride.
January 30, 2017, 07:59:36 AM
Looking Better Spring Clean
January 27, 2017, 11:53:10 AM
Taking out the trash I see
Members
Total Members: 704
Latest: will race for coffee
Stats
Total Posts: 39066
Total Topics: 2531
Online Today: 24
Online Ever: 183
(June 15, 2008, 08:31:09 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 22
Total: 22
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: FIRST MOD?  (Read 18235 times)
DesmoDreamer
Hooligan

« on: October 07, 2007, 08:38:55 PM »

As many of you have read in my other post i am very new to the street bike and especially DUCATI world, as of now my S2R 800 is still stock if you exclude the corsa carbon tank guard (1098 style) and the carbon key guards.

If any of you knew me you would know i am not one for keeping things stock!
being as new as i am i am wondering what some of your opinions are  on a good/great first mod!

I would like to get the most bang for the buck as i can!!!

I would also like to hear everyones take on the idea of a custom exhaust, what size, style, and pics if anyone else has one them selves.

(remember everything stick-on add 10HP) LOL
Uncle Mofo
President

Must Win Track Day!

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 09:00:53 PM »

Look at my thread Bike mods my former S2R dark mods, and pics are listed.
 I would suggest exhaust mods first a full system open air box and and get the bike retuned then a 14 T front sprocket the 800 really needs it. cheap mod around $30 will transform the S2R into a better riding machine and power wheelies will surprise you often.     

2007 Red S4Rs 2008 Great Lakes Ducati Rally & Track Fest People's Choice Award Winner. 2014 Monster Challenge 3rd Place
2005 S2R Dark  2007 Ducati Day Daytona People's Choice Award Winner (sold)

"Must win track day".  Uncle Mofo Racing

Uncle Mofo
President

Must Win Track Day!

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 09:15:12 PM »

What year is your S2R? That will make a difference on the exhaust mods...

2007 Red S4Rs 2008 Great Lakes Ducati Rally & Track Fest People's Choice Award Winner. 2014 Monster Challenge 3rd Place

sTD
Go Kart Track Day Winner Treasurer
Staff

so ride like a knob

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 02:40:15 AM »

Leathers/track day.

Multi/Hyper Adventure Gear - www.strada-avventurosa.com

Uncle Mofo
President

Must Win Track Day!

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 03:37:27 AM »

Leathers/track day.
Typical sTD answer, don't mind him he's a track junkie.  

MotoPsycho
General Nuisance &
Local Mod

Yeah, whatever !

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 04:06:59 AM »

Even though my bikes a carby, the best money I spent was on the Nichols aluminum flywheel.

Rat Bike award winning "Project: Terremoto" - '99 M750
Stanotte ceniamo all inferno  
sTD
Go Kart Track Day Winner Treasurer
Staff

so ride like a knob

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 05:37:32 AM »

Typical sTD answer, don't mind him he's a track junkie.

True that... But I'm serious here (for once). 

Tell me I'm wrong when I say that riding on a track is the absolute best & quickest way to develop the good bike control reflexes that pretty much all street-only riders lack, regardless of how long you've ridden.  It's those same bike control reflexes that will do more than anything else in keeping you from turning into a statistic on the street.

Hey, bolt anything you want to on your scoot, it's a free country, but none of it's gonna help you better avoid serious injury or death.  Learning to handle that thing to the absolute best of your ability in a controlled, safe, track environment WILL.

Another side benefit of riding on the track is that you start to realize that there are certain shenanigans best done at the track, not on the street.  I know it's slowed my happy a$$ down significantly, and cdd would say the same.  Yeah, some of you have seen us roost corners, wheelie, etc, but you then need to realize we're riding at way less than 50% of our ability, which leaves a huge cushion just-in-case, we're pretty selective where we do it (no oncoming traffic, no gaurdrails, only rural roads, etc), and we're wearing the right gear, etc.

I want my riding brothers & sisters to be around for a LONG time, hence my insistence about learning to ride well.  I poke fun at those of you who spend hundreds or thousands of $$$$$ on accessories, instead of taking a Kieth Code class and/or doing track days, but half in jest and half serious.

Bling is cool, but being a highly skilled rider ROCKS and that ability will probably save your life someday.

<soapbox mode off>

Multi/Hyper Adventure Gear - www.strada-avventurosa.com

BryanS
Co-Founder, Staff &
Webmaster

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 07:17:16 AM »

Well, I think sTD makes a good argument.  In addition, I must say, dropping a few bucks on a 14 tooth front sprocket makes a lot of sense.

It's only $20 to $30 for the part, doesn't take long to install yourself, and makes a significant difference in the acceleration of the bike.  If you happen to not like it, which I've never heard of happening, then it's a quick simple mod to undo.

Rev. Cyrus Buelton
Hooligan

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 09:15:15 AM »

remove the reflectors.

The official Hoosier Hooligan Chaplain and Ducati Deacon
DesmoDreamer
Hooligan

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 11:59:01 AM »

well first off it is an '07 and secondly i have not had a chance to get it on the track but i have taken riding courses.

Sorry Rev. but if i take off the reflectores i loose like 20 HP just from the forks alone so why would i want to do that? lol J/K

other suggestion?

What brands should i go with what ones should i avoid and also what are some of the best sites?

I have been searching and it is pretty tough to find sites with a lot of monster stuff!!!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 07:18:12 PM by DesmoDreamer » Logged
BryanS
Co-Founder, Staff &
Webmaster

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 08:30:34 PM »

I know that Desmoworks sells sprockets. You might try there and don't forget about the discount our members get. Check out the sponsors page for details.

I also know that Anthony from Desmoworks posted up on the DML today about a Zard full system for your bike. He has one that he discounted since it was a like new demo set. You might email and ask him about it. As I recall it was about $1300 something but don't quote me on it.

Zard makes nice exhaust. So does Sil, Fast By Ferracci, Arrow, Termignoni, Leo Vinci, and Spark. I really like the way Zards look and people talk highly of them.

Desmocrat
Hooligan

Paul Smart 1000LE

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 03:15:43 AM »

Following sTD's suggestion, you might want some added insurance in putting on some frame sliders.  I know some don't agree that they are that much of a benefit, but I have seen the pucks ground down after several bike went down and aside from bent pegs/broken mirrors, they probably do work.
The stock mirrors suck...can't see anything but your own shoulder.  I went with the CRG lanesplitters and love them.

The artist formally known as PREM
DesmoDreamer
Hooligan

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 07:56:51 AM »

frame sliders were def. in the back of my mind but i wasn't sure if they were worth it.

I had some issues with the stock mirrors at first but i have them perfect now.

Does any one have the Quat D exhaust? i love the way it looks but how does it sound? it is hard to tell from the vids i have seen.
BryanS
Co-Founder, Staff &
Webmaster

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 08:09:14 AM »

If you're talking about the Quat D Ex Box, I don't like the sound and I've heard several others comment negatively about the sound.  It just doesn't sound "Ducati" but I can't quite explain it.  Maybe it's too raspy?  I can't quite put my finger on it.

ToasterTank
Post Whore
Hooligan

My Milkshake brings all the girls to my yard.

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 08:15:23 AM »

Std you are right on target.  I wish my wallet and work schedule would allow me to do it.  I am making arrangements for next year to get some track time along with two added safety courses.  Yes I do want to attend Keith Codes school.  I did buy the video should anybody want to view it.  Maybe a night at Racer Troy's or well ride to your location since I have never been there.  Saw living proof with Mario, Matt Carr, Rob,Rose and Kevin at Putnam.  This guy an endurance rider on a smaller bike no bling blowing the doors off everybody with 300+ cc's more than him.  Man he could ride.  Rode a Kaw mean green machine.

1973 BMW R75/5
2005 Harley Davidson Road King
1994 900ss
Uncle Mofo
President

Must Win Track Day!

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 08:28:55 AM »

Stay away from the Quad D it sounds like farting in a tin box.
I like the look of it too but the sound was a major turn off for me.
I would get a set of these my preference order
Termignoni- High mount or shotgun
Silmotor- high mount megapipe
Zard- high mount
Arrow-shotgun
 Check with Anthony from Desmoworks He's a local guy from Bloomington he had some exhausts on sale...

BryanS
Co-Founder, Staff &
Webmaster

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 08:33:14 PM »

nah, Termi's sound like crap.  Just listen to Mario's bike and see for yourself 

My list of favs includes Arrow, Sil, Zard, Termi, and Leo Vince in no particular order.  They all sound great!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print

Jump to: